This powerful tool for creating interactive content has great appeal for Ontario educators- it works independently of delivery platform, plays well on any device, and creates works that are easily reusable.
What Does it Do?
H5P enables existing CMSs and LMSs to create richer content. With H5P, authors may create and edit interactive videos, presentations, games, advertisements and more. Content may be imported and exported. All that is needed to view or edit H5P content is a web browser. H5P content types and applications are shared here on H5P.org. H5P content may be created on any H5P enabled web site like H5P.com or your own Drupal or WordPress site with the H5P plugin installed.
What is the relevance of this tool for Ontario Extend Educators?
- H5P content is responsive and mobile friendly, which means that users will experience the same rich, interactive content on computers, smartphones and tablets alike.
- H5P is a completely free and open technology, licensed with the MIT license.
- Provides a review of how different content types meet accessibility guidelines.
- Demos/downloads, tutorials and documentation are all available for users who want to join the community.
- Through H5P.com, H5P content may be embedded in any platform that supports embedded content (iframes). H5P.com also provides integrations for LMSs like Canvas, Brightspace, Blackboard, Moodle and other systems that support the LTI standard. In addition H5P has plugins for WordPress, Moodle, Drupal and several other publishing systems.
- H5P SaaS (Paid H5P service) is supported for any LMS that supports LTI integration, like Canvas, Brightspace, Blackboard and Moodle and many others.
Things to keep in mind when considering use of this tool.
- Features and editing steps can vary across content types
- Does not export SCORM data
Examples in Action
These curated examples are ones created by Ontario Extend participants.
- Examples of Responses to Ontario Extend Module Activities (Alan Levine) created for the 2019 Extend mOOC
- Medical Terminology Practice (Kim Carter)
- Trigonometry Matching Game (Jessica V)
- Label the Heart (Sarah Wendorf)
- Timeline of Human Sexuality (Christopher Schubert)
Activities Using Tool
See how this tool is used for Extend Module activities as well as in submitted responses.
- Going Interactive With H5P. A Technologist module aimed at demonstrating the potential of H5P
See other tools in the same modules that use this tool or explore similar ones organized by similar function.
If you have experience using this tool, on a scale of 1 to 5 how highly would you recommend this tool to a colleague?
- H5P Getting Started (H5P) Very appropriately uses H5P content to introduce new users. See also the documentation and the review of content types that can be created on H5P.
- Create Interactive and Accessible Online Tutorials with H5P
(Lindsay O’Neill) an online poster created in H5P
- eCampusOntario H5P Studio: eCampusOntario H5P Studio found here: https://h5pstudio.ecampusontario.ca/ is your one stop shop to create, share, and discover interactive learning objects. This site uses H5P, an open source plugin, to allow content authors to easily create interactive content for their courses or other instructional projects. For more information about H5P, please refer to their website: h5p.org.
eCampusOntario H5P Studio is provided as part of our set of Open Publishing tools. This platform was developed by the innovative team at Wilfrid Laurier University Library. Special thanks to Yasin Dahi, Joanne Oud, Dillon Moore, and Gohar Ashoughian for their participation in this project.
For all other inquiries, please feel to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org